The Sims 4: Emotional Inertia
A downloadable mod for Windows and macOS
This is a mod for The Sims 4.
Last updated: v6, 04 June 2017
Working for The Sims 4 v1.30.105 / The Parenthood Patch
Also available on ModTheSims
What it does
Sims' moods now have inertia. Moods become more resistant to change, and can last beyond the original moodlets that caused them. It can now take a sustained effort and multiple points of another emotion to change their mood.
This mod also includes an edited package of Zerbu's mod 'Uncomfortable Boosts Negative Emotions', which makes uncomfortable moodlets boost the score of negative emotions in the same way happy boosts the score of positive emotions.
Why would you want this?
In the base game, sims' emotions typically flip about on four hour timers like little clockwork goldfish. Nothing affects their mood for long, and once you're familiar with the game, it's not difficult to get the few points needed to change their mood when you want to.
With this mod, once something happens to put a sim in a mood, that mood will likely last at least as long as the effects of the thing that caused the mood, and even after that it will take time and effort to put them in a different frame of mind. The aim is for this to make emotions feel a little more meaningful, to make your sims feel a little more human, and to make managing their mood take a little more planning and be a little more challenging.
Emotional Inertia in detail
When your sim enters a mood, they will be given a moodlet for that mood, the strength of which depends on their age and whether the mood is positive or negative. When that moodlet's timer runs out, it will be replaced by a weaker moodlet.
After your sim enters another mood, the inertia moodlet from the previous mood will be removed.
There are three levels of inertia moodlet:
- Strong: +3 - lasts 10 hours, followed by
- Medium: +2 - lasts 10 hours, followed by
- Fragile: +1 - lasts 20 hours
The +1 level will rarely last long at all, and will almost never actually last the full duration, because of the way the game handles mood changes. Once a +1 inertia moodlet is the only thing left keeping a sim in a mood, it will be overcome by any more recent +1 moodlet for any other emotion.
Starting inertia levels:
- Toddlers: no inertia.
The emotional balance for toddlers is pretty good, so I don't mess with it.
- Children: +1 for positive moods, +2 for negative moods.
Children will find it easier to bounce back and change in mood than adults.
- Teens: +1 for positive moods, +3 for negative moods.
Teens can struggle with coping with the new stresses in their lives.
- Young Adults to Elders: +2 for positive moods, +3 for negative moods.
Adults are more emotionally stable.
- Happy and uncomfortable moods get only +1 inertia.
You won't get sims stuck as 'uncomfortable' hours after needing the toilet.
- Unflirty adult sims get only +1 flirty inertia.
It should be easy to bring them out of the flirty mood after the moodlet that put them in it has expired.
- Non-currently-played sims: +1 for positive moods, +2 for negative moods.
At the moment, non-currently-played sims will only have inertia if they have been previously played while this mod is active. A new method for applying the effects to all sims is in the works.
The amount of points needed to enter the 'very' stage of an emotion has been raised to allow for the inertia moodlets.
Uncomfortable Boosts in detail
From Zerbu's description:
"Uncomfortable" will boost other negative emotions.
The level requirement to get into higher states of negative emotions has been increased. Don't worry, this mod won't make it too easy to die from Anger or Embarassment.
Uncomfortable Moodlets will no longer give extreme values. The only exception is pregnancy Moodlets. I don't think it's possible for pregnant Sims to die, but if I'm wrong, there's nothing wrong with a bit of extra challenge.
Ravenous will make Sims Dazed instead of Uncomfortable.
Ravenous Sims will do the sleepy walk and lose Energy at 5x the original speed.
The included version of this mod also fixes a bug in Zerbu's last uploaded package that caused problems after reaching very low bladder need.
This mod is included because it would have otherwise conflicted with Emotional Inertia. I could be convinced to make a version of Emotional Inertia that does not include Uncomfortable Boosts if there are people who want it, but I feel they work well together.
Tips for playing
With this mod, managing your sims' moods can become challenging.
Falling into a negative mood is a meaningful problem. If it happens, your sim will likely only be able to be pulled out of it after the moodlet that caused the mood change expires. After that, you'll have to find multiple sources of +happy to overcome the strong inertia for a negative mood. A drink, a nice meal, a deep connection with another sim, or a good workout can be good places to start.
But you'll also need to think about what positive mood they'll end up in when they finally overcome their bad mood. Because if it's not one you wanted them to be in, you might have another problem.
With adults, even an undesired positive mood can take some planning to overcome. To beat a +2 positive inertia moodlet, you'll need either a +2 moodlet or three different +1 moodlets for the positive mood you want them to have. Learning the different ways your sim can gain moodlets for the emotions they want will be important if you want to have control over their mood. Start with viewing an emotional artwork, doing some research on the computer, or taking a particular kind of shower.
Or you can just let their moods flow where they will, and follow your sim's lead for their desires in life.
How this mod came about
I started this as a project to learn to use Zerbu's Mod Constructor tool. Zerbu's excellent old Lingering Emotions mod was no longer working for me, and I missed it, so I started out by trying to recreate its effects. The mod has developed a lot since then, and I feel it has enough differences now from Zerbu's original mod to be distinct and worth sharing.
- Only sims you have played while the mod is active will become affected by the emotional inertia. This is a consequence of the tool used to make the mod. A new method for applying the effects to all sims is in the works.
- Emotion reducing interactions only reduce moodlets that were present when the interaction started. This means if a strong emotional inertia moodlet transitions to a weaker one while your sim is performing an emotion reducing interaction, the new moodlet won't be reduced unless you start the interaction again.
- Zerbu's Uncomfortable Boosts mod displays uncomfortable moodlets that are boosting another emotion as fading from green to the boosted emotion's colour, just like a happy moodlet boosting a positive emotion. This is apparently a hardcoded visual, and can't be fixed. :(
- There have been rare reports of particular sims in a save not being affected by Emotional Inertia. I still don't know exactly what happens to cause this, but if you experience it, a workaround is to uninstall the mod, load and save the game, then reinstall the mod. A new method for applying the effects to sims is in the works, which will hopefully fix this issue.
Recommended mods to go with this
- No Happy Environment Moodlets
With permanent happy moodlets around, emotional inertia can make it too easy to stay in a positive mood. Disable happy moodlets from decorations for a better balance between positive and negative moods.
- Experiences by Zerbu
The core experiences skill system might be a bit buggy, but some of other changes, like teen mood swings, and faster social need decay for younger people, work well together with this mod to make moods unpredictable, and to make negative emotions a bit more of a threat.
Massive thanks to ZerbuTabek
This mod was inspired by Zerbu's Lingering Emotions mod
This mod was made with Zerbu's Mod Constructor v2
This mod includes Zerbu's Uncomfortable Boosts mod, with permission
I am a bit of a fan of Zerbu's work, perhaps you can tell
- v6, 04 June 2017: Children now get weaker inertia. Teens now get weaker positive inertia. Non-currently-played sims now get weaker inertia. Happy and uncomfortable moods now get only +1 inertia. Unflirty adults now get weaker flirty inertia.
- v5, 11 March 2017: The +2 stage of positive emotional inertia now lasts 10 hours instead of 15. The happy and uncomfortable emotions now have inertia as well. Inertia moodlets from the previous emotion are now removed instantly when an inertia moodlet for a new emotion is given.
- v4, 02 March 2017: Initial public release.
This mod overrides these files, and will conflict with any mod that does the same:
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Leave a comment
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.